When we’re invited to dinner, we like to take wine or contribute a dish for the meal. Because it’s “spooky season” I thought I’d decorate our wine gifts. Here’s a simple way to turn your favorite bottle of wine into a cute housewarming gift or spooky centerpiece for your next ghoulish gathering.
- Bottles of wine
- Design Master® Color® Spray Paint
- Hunter Green
- Plaid FolkArt Acrylic Paint
- Small Paint Brush
- Painter’s tape
- Butcher paper
- Soak bottles in a mixture of baking soda and lukewarm water for 1 hour.
- Remove labels using non-metallic scouring pad. You’ll be using your muscles for this!
- Wash bottles with soap and water to remove any adhesive still on bottle and dry bottles completely.
- Wrap bottle top with painter’s tape so that paint does not spray on opening or cork.
- Spray bottle with Orange spray paint and let dry completely. (For even coverage I sprayed each bottle several times.)
- Using painter’s tape and butcher paper, mask base of bottle neck.
- Spray neck with Hunter Green spray paint. (Again, for even coverage, I sprayed the necks several times.) Let dry completely.
This is where my project was almost a Classic Craft Failure. My next step was to apply an adhesive Jack O’ Lantern stencil to my bottle and brush on black acrylic paint. The adhesive stencil backing pulled off all of the base paint it touched! UGH! So I thought about it for a few minutes and decided to hand paint the images…
- Paint Jack ‘O Lantern face (or whatever you desire) on bottle with black acrylic paint and small paint brush.