Etched Monogram Vintage Window Mirror
Designed by Cindi McGee – Behind These Eyes™
A friend of ours repurposed a vintage window frame from his family home and created this fantastic large mirror. Etchall® was the perfect way to create a decorative monogram!
- Vintage window frame with mirror cut to fit the frame (Or purchase a mirror in the desired size)
- etchmask™ Stencil ComboPack
- Computer & printer
- Decorative border stencil
- Painter’s tape
- Permanent marker
- Window cleaner & paper towels
- Determine the preferred size for your finished monogram. Choose a font that you like and enlarge the letter to the appropriate size. For this mirror, we wanted a large monogram – so the size of the lettering was set to 650 pt. The font selected was “handwriting-draft_free-version” which was downloaded from the internet.
- Print the letter and cut out the letter itself.
- Use a permanent marker to trace the letter onto etchmask™.
- To create the stencil, cut out the “inside” portion of the letter.
- Place transfer sheet from ComboPack onto the stencil.
- Clean the mirror.
- Place transfer sheet with stencil onto mirror, using a ruler to ensure your letter is straight and centered. The sheet allows you to reposition the stencil as needed before adhering for etching.
- Begin lifting away transfer sheet and peeling back and removing sections of the etchmask® backing. I worked from the top to about half way down, then from the bottom up to the center again, smoothing the etchmask™ stencil in place on the mirror.
- Use squeegee to apply a thick coat of etchall® Creme over the monogram. Let set 15 minutes. Use squeegee to carefully scrape and remove creme and return to the bottle for re-use. Remove stencil and clean mirror ot remove remaining etching creme residue.
- For the decorative border stencil, I chose a premade stencil. Use the ruler to determine straight placement along the outside of your monogram. Tape in place with painter’s tape. Carefully apply a thick coat of etchall® Creme. Let set 15 minutes. Use squeegee to carefully scrape and remove creme and return to the bottle for re-use. Carefully lift the stencil from the mirror, and then clean remaining creme from the mirror. Let mirror dry, then re-align border stencil and continue etching around the letter.