Cindi McGee – Behind These Eyes™
Day of the Dead crafts are growing in popularity – this mirror combines a variety of mixed media for a finished piece which will make a colorful accent to you home.
- 9″ Darice Mirror (www.darice.com)
- etchall® (www.etchall.com)
- Etching Cream, Squeegee
- etchnet® stencil – Sugar Skull
- Painters tape
- Makin’s Clay® (www.makins-usa.com)
- Red, Yellow, Green
- Leaves Push mold
- Smoothfoam™ Disc (www.smoothfoam.com)
- DecoArt® Americana® Multi-Surface Satin™ (www.decoart.com)
- Deep Turquoise
- Beacon® Adhesives (www.beaconadhesives.com)
- Tacky Glue
- Toner Plastics™/The Beadery® Skull Beads (www.thebeadery.com)
This was my first time working with the new etchnet stencils with etchall cream – and I’m happy to say that the results were absolutely fantastic – one of the cleanest, crispest etches I’ve ever achieved!
- Apply etchnet sugar skull stencil to left side of mirror. Use painters tape to securely tape in place, ensuring there are no ripples in the stencil.
- Pour etchall cream on the side of the stencil – NOT ON THE OPEN AREA – Use squeeegee to pull etching cream over onto open areas of stencil, pressing slightly to ensure the cream is evenly applied though the net of the stencil. Once you are sure you have a good even application over the open areas of the stencil, apply an additional coat of etchall over the stencil. Let set 15 minutes. Return etching cream to bottle, rinse to remove remaining cream and remove stencil. Clean any remaining cream from stencil and set aside for later use (etchnet stencils are re-usable).
- Create multiple roses approximately 1” in size from red and yellow Makin’s Clay. There are multiple tutorials online for making roses with polymer clay and/or fondant – it really is quite simple!
- Use leaves push mold and green Makin’s Clay to create multiple leaves for the roses.
- Use Beacon Tacky Glue to mount roses and leaves as desired on left edge of mirror, extending above and below the etched skull. Leaves and flowers can be mounted when the clay is still fresh, or after dry (normally the clay will be dry in 24 hours).
- Use Tacky Glue to mount blue skull beads randomly amongst the flowers. Let dry.
- Paint sides of Smoothfoam disc with Turquoise Multi-Surface Satin™ paint. Let dry.
- Apply liberal amount of Tacky Glue to top of Smoothfoam disc and mount mirror. The disc will give added depth when the mirror is mounted to a wall.